Turmeric Brown Rice Porridge (Khichdi)
This recipe is one bowl of comfort food. It has goodness of brown rice, turmeric, pulses and some veggies. Khichdi is Indian food which is done in different states in a different way with whiterice and pulses. I have made this recipe with brown rice and it turned out delicious!
Brown rice is a good source of fiber, proteins and essential vitamins. Brown rice is whole grain rice, white rice is the same grain with hull, bran and germ layer removed. There are many pulses and lentils which are rich in proteins, you can use any pulses or lentils. I have used Split green gram(moong dal) for this recipe.
To make recipe, heat ghee or olive oil in a pressure cooker or sauce pan. Add cumin seeds, cashew nuts, chopped onion and 3 - 4 crushed black peppers.
Saute for 2 minutes, add chopped tomatoes and vegetables as you like.
Saute for 1 minute, add turmeric powder and red chilli powder or cayenne powder.
Mix well, add soaked and drained brown rice and split green gram (moong dal).
Add water and salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Let it cook for 10 - 12 minutes. It tastes excellent with yogurt or raita.
Author : Himabindu
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 1 cup Split green gram (moong dal)
- 1 tsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 chopped medium onion
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 4-5 cashew nuts
- ¼ cup cut vegetables( beans, carrots, corn)
- 1 chopped tomato
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder or cayenne powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 cups water
- Wash and soak brown rice and pulses.
- Heat ghee or olive oil in a pressure cooker or sauce pan.
- Add cumin seeds, cashew nuts, chopped onion and pepper powder.
- Saute for 2 minutes and add chopped vegetables and chopped tomato.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder or cayenne powder.
- Add water and salt, mix well. Check the seasoning.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until 4 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- It tastes excellent with yogurt or raita on side.