You can even make this bread recipe with pesto, green chutney or cinnamon sugar.
Yield : 1 bread
Oven Temp : 350℉/180℃
Bake Time : 30 to 35 minutes
Spicy garlic chutney:
- 12 dried red chilies
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 big garlic cloves or 12 small garlic cloves
- 1 tsp seedless tamarind
- 2 Tbsp roasted chana dal or pine nuts
- ¼ cup roughly chopped onion (half onion)
- ¾ tsp salt
- some water for grinding/blending
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour(maida)
- 1 tsp garlic powder(optional)
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup plain yogurt(curd)
- 2 Tbsp ghee + extra for filling
- corn meal or sooji
- Egg wash for golden crust : 1 Egg + 2 Tbsp milk (you can skip egg and just use milk)
Spicy garlic chutney
- Soak dried red chilies in water for 1 hour.
- In a pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds and garlic cloves. Saute for 1 minute. Drain the water from soaked red chilies. Add the red chilies and tamarind to the pan and saute for 2 minutes. Do not burn the garlic. Turn off the heat and add these ingredients to a grinder or blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients(roasted chana dal or pine nuts, roughly chopped onion, salt and water ) to the grinder/blender and make into a paste.
- Store the chutney in a container.
- Add yeast and sugar to warm milk, mix and let it rest for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a big bowl, add all purpose flour, garlic powder and salt. Give it a mix. Add activated yeast mixture and yogurt. Mix using a spatula or spoon to form a shaggy dough.
- Transfer the dough on a work surface or use an electric mixer with hook attachment.
- Add ghee and start kneading the dough(it's a quite sticky dough), for 5 to 8 minutes, until a smooth dough is formed. If using an electric mixer, beat it on medium speed for complete 4 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or plate and let it rest in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough and place it on lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces using a knife, shape them into round dough balls.
- Watch the video below for guidance through this step. On a parchment paper or greased baking sheet, sprinkle some cornmeal or sooji. Place one dough ball on it and roll out into 10 inch circle using a rolling pin. Brush on the dough circle with ghee and prepared spicy garlic chutney. Place another rolled out dough circle on it and repeat the process. The top layer does not have filling on it. So only 3 of the dough layers will be topped with ghee and chutney.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the edges of the dough layers to make even circles. Place a 3 inch round bowl or cap of a jar on the center and make an indent. Cut 16 even stripes from edges to the indent circle, using a pizza cutter or a knife. Using both hands, twist 2 stripes twice away from each other. Then press two ends together, repeat this step with the remaining stripes. Now the bread should look like a star with 8 points.
- Cover the shaped bread with clean kitchen towel and rest it for 20 minutes.
- Now preheat oven to 350℉/180℃.
- Lightly brush the top of the bread with egg wash or just milk. This helps to get the golden crust.
- Bake the bread in a preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let it cool for 5minutes.
- Serve it and enjoy!
1. Roll out the dough balls between two parchment papers or wax papers for easier outcome.
2. Second time resting the shaped dough helps in better volume and a finer texture of bread. So don’t forget to proof the shaped bread.
3. It is important to follow the exact steps and perfect measurements for better outcome in baking!
Follow me on Instagram : @theicingworld