Lemon Pound Cake
This lemon pound cake is dense, moist and rich. It tastes incredible with lemon syrup drizzle.
Cook time : 50 to 55 minutes
Servings : 12
- 2 cups All purpose flour/Maida
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream/greek yogurt/hung curd
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350℉ or 180℃. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or just grease with butter and dust with flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and give it a mix.
- In another bowl, beat together butter and sugar for 5minutes until light and fluffy with an electric mixer or in a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Add eggs, one by one mixing at medium speed.
- Add sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mix just until well combined.
- Add sifted flour mixture and mix gently using a spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan. Level the batter using a spatula or spoon.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take it out from oven and let it cool in the pan for 10minutes.
- Poke 10 to 15 holes evenly throughout the cake with a skewer or toothpick. Pour the warm lemon syrup over the cake allowing it to soak in.
- Lemon syrup: Add sugar, water and lemon juice in a small sauce pan and bring it to a boil over medium heat, stirring sugar to dissolve. Let it cool slightly before pouring over the cake.
- Remove the cake from loaf pan and let it cool completely.
- Slice and serve!
For Vegetarian recipe
Substitute 3 eggs with ¾ cup milk + ½ tsp vinegar
For Vegan recipe
substitute ¾ cup butter with ¾ cup coconut oil or vegan butter.
1 cup sour cream with 1 cup vegan yogurt.
3 eggs with ¾ cup applesauce + ¼ tsp baking powder or 3Tbsp ground flax seeds + 6Tbsp water or ¾ cup vegan buttermilk.
You can store them in air tight container for 2 to 3 days or in fridge up-to a week.
Slightly warm the cake before serving(Microwave for 15seconds).